Have you ever woken up feeling overwhelmed?
I have, and in my case it’s because the task I must do seems so complex, complicated, and big, it clouds my mind. The outcome is procrastination, in other words the task doesn’t get done.
I’ve found a reasonably easy way to overcome overwhelm and in so doing, clarity and focused attention happen as if by magic.
Let’s pretend you are working with your favourite advisor and you both agree to create a new business model with a revenue stream of £1 million in sales within 12 months.
For a small or even medium-sized business, this may easily overwhelm you. Overwhelmed to the point of being frozen. There’s so much to do in creating the new model and revenue stream and no one knows where to start.
One possible answer is to chunk it down and move from a big goal to baby steps.
This is the method I always use with my clients and I allude to it in other posts. In a way, this business idea is a methodology and is core to the way I work.
- List the Goal or Vision
- Evaluate and analyse your current business circumstances as a relationship to the goal
- Change your big goal to something much smaller
The Goal Above Would Look Like This
- Your big goal is to create a new on-line revenue stream of £1 million in sales within 12 months
- Your current circumstances will include all of your resources (people, cash, knowledge, expertise, competition and so on)
- Change your goal to, creating a new revenue stream of £1
Because your new goal is only for £1 it’s a much easier number to take on. And yet it still allows you to complete the whole process and get everything set up.
Once you reach your goal of £1 for this new revenue stream you could increase it each quarter. This business idea of baby steps, gives you and your team breathing space to deliver without lots of pressure.